12830 80 Ave #103, Surrey, BC, Canada

Work Permit

Work in Canada

Work permits and work visas authorize a foreign worker to work and earn a living in Canada. The Canadian federal government and Canadian provinces and territories have different programs aimed at bringing in individuals who would contribute positively to Canada economically, socially, and culturally. These programs have different work permits and work visas.

Open Work Permit

Open Work Permits allow individuals to work for any Canadian employer except employers who have failed to comply with the employment standards. It is not job specific hence there is no need of LMIA to apply for Open Work Permit. Categories of individuals who qualify for the Open Work Permit include:

  • Applicants of permanent residence visas
  • Dependants of permanent residence applicants
  • Students: Students who are studying in immigrant approved schools can work part-time for up to 20 hours during the school year and full time in summer holidays. After completion of school, you can apply for a 3-year post-graduation work permit.
  • Spouses/common-law partners of some international students and workers
  • Refugees, protected persons, and their families.

Closed Work Permits

or Employer Specific Work Permits

Closed Work Permits or Employer Specific Work Permits are given to individuals who qualify through LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment). LMIA is a document employers who intend to bring in foreign workers have to get from the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), by showing that there are no Canadian workers available for the job, and vice versa.