12830 80 Ave #103, Surrey, BC, Canada

Study Permit

Study/Work in Canada

Study Permits are temporary visas whose validity period is the same as the duration of the school program, usually between one and four years.

To qualify for a Study Permit the applicant must show that

  • they are registered in the school program,
  • they have sufficient funds to pay their tuition and to support themselves in Canada while they are studying.
  • The immigration authorities will also assess the intentions of the applicant and whether they are likely to return to their home country at the end of their studies.

What are the Requirements?

You must:

  • Have been accepted by a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada.
  • Prove you have the economic means to pay for the expenses of tuition fees, living and transportation costs for yourself and accompanying members during your stay in the country.
  • Have no record of criminal activity.
  • Provide any additional documents requested by the officer to establish your admissibility.
  • Complete a medical examination, if required.
  • Convince an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies.

Working in Canada as a Student

Foreign nationals who hold a study permit may work part time in Canada for up to 20 hours per week. This will allow them to partially supplement the cost of their studies, as well as to gain useful work experience in Canada.

However, this work experience will not be considered for purposes of a permanent residence application.

Post-Graduate Work Permits

Those foreign nationals who have completed a study program of 8 months or longer in Canada can obtain a Post-Graduate Work Permit valid for up to 3 years. This is a type of open work permit that will allow the foreign national to work in any occupation or position that they can find.

The application for the Post-Graduate work permit must be filed within 90 days of the applicant’s graduation from their school program.